CITIZENS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The overall goal of the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) is to help guide the process, working with project facilitators and Village staff, as a sounding board. While Village Council will ultimately serve as the decision-makers on the project, the CAC will recommend draft zoning language for review by the Planning Commission and Village Council. The CAC will be responsible to discuss issues, review products and generally keep the process moving forward in a positive and efficient manner.
The CAC will play a key role in the development of an updated zoning code. Members will work closely with project facilitators and Village staff in the development of the updated code. The CAC is an advisory body and members' roles include the following:
1. Advise project facilitators on zoning and development matters relating to the update of the Code;
2. Identify stakeholders;
3. Identify participation techniques and assist in public workshops;
4. Encourage others to become involved in the process by interacting with citizens and citizen groups
to develop, and promote interest and involvement in the process;
5. Review, comment, and recommend changes to the draft zoning code; and
6. Forward recommendations to the Planning Commission.
The CAC is critical to the success of the project, and committed members are critical to the success of the CAC. To achieve success, members should agree to participate in the following ways:
1. Regularly attend scheduled CAC meetings;
2. Read background materials and other materials distributed between meetings;
3. Identify additional information that would be helpful to share with other committee members;
4. Come prepared to actively participate in discussions; and
5. Respect the comments of other members.
The following guidelines and procedures are intended to guide the CAC in fulfilling its role:
1. The process should proceed as quickly as possible using existing materials and information where
2. Members should strive to achieve consensus on all recommendations while remaining sensitive to
3. All meetings shall be open to the public with the appropriate level of public participation to be
decided by the CAC.
4. The CAC should provide additional forums for residents to express their opinions on the
draft Zoning Code.
5. The CAC should listen to and consider testimony from the public and other government
agencies as it affects the Code and development in the Village of Maineville.
6. The CAC should act as coordinator for community involvement in the process, resolving
inconsistencies and conflicts in the draft recommendations, prior to forwarding those
recommendations to the Planning Commission.
7. Residents' participation in the update process is invited and encouraged. A period is reserved at
the end of each meeting for residents to provide comments directly to the CAC.
8. Members are expected to represent their own views, but also to consider the views of other
segments of the Village and ultimately to consider what is best for the Village as a whole.